Meet Poet Lee Woodman
My New England parents wanted to see the world, giving me a childhood in France and India that ignited a passion for language, art, music, and dance. My literary career got its start with family newspapers and plays produced in the driveway with my sisters.
My undergraduate degree in Art and French and a graduate degree in Art Education led to teaching. I also performed in dance and drama groups, and in a spare moment, became a registered clown.
Leadership experience included twenty years at the Smithsonian Institution, heading my own media company, and a stint as VP of a start-up education company. Now I have found the perfect medium for combining all my interests: Poetry!
I am grateful to colleagues, friends, and publishers for helping me launch Mindscapes, published by Poets’ Choice Publishing in 2020 and Homescapes (Finishing Line Press) the same year. My poems have appeared in Tiferet Journal, Grey Sparrow Journal, The Ekphrastic Review, vox poetica, The New Guard Review, The Concord Monitor, Naugatuck River Review, Hill Rag, and Broadkill Review. I received the 2020 William Meredith Prize for Poetry, and am delighted to announce two upcoming collections: Lifescapes (Kelsay Books) and Artscapes (Shanti Arts.)
- William Meredith Prize for Poetry 2020
- Individual Poetry Fellowship, DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities FY 2019
- Individual Poetry Fellowship, DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities FY 2020
- Radio and TV Awards: Writer/Producer, five CINEs, two NY International Film Blue Ribbons,
- three Gracies from American Women in Radio and Television, Ohio State Award, Columbus Chris Award, CINDY Award. Multimedia: Nebraska Interactive Blue Ribbon, USA Today Hotpick Website, Yahoo Outstanding Website
- M.A. Art Education, Hartford Art School, University of Hartford, Connecticut
- B.A. Art (Studio and History), Minor (French), Colby College, Waterville, Maine
- Junior Year Abroad, l’Institut d’Art et d’Archéologie, University of Paris, France
Sign Up for News & Events
Want to know when Lee has new poetry or a book coming out? Join the mailing list!